How do I claim contract work on my taxes?

To claim contract work on your taxes, you’ll need to report the income earned from your contracts on your tax return. If you received Form 1099-MISC or any other documentation indicating your earnings, make sure to include that information. Additionally, you can deduct any related expenses incurred while performing the contract work, such as supplies, equipment, or travel expenses, to reduce your taxable income.

How much GST do I pay as a contractor?

As a contractor in Canada, you may be required to charge and collect Goods and Services Tax (GST) on the goods and services you provide to clients, depending on your annual revenue. The current GST rate is 5%. If your annual revenue exceeds the GST registration threshold set by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), which is typically $30,000, you must register for a GST/HST account and remit the collected GST to the CRA.

Can independent contractors claim tax expenses?

Yes, independent contractors can claim tax expenses related to their business activities to reduce their taxable income. Common deductible expenses for contractors may include office supplies, equipment, vehicle expenses, travel expenses, professional fees, marketing expenses, and home office expenses, among others. It’s essential to keep detailed records and receipts for all business-related expenses to support your claims in case of an audit.

To find out more in details or need expert advice, please give us a call on 289-752-1215 or mail us at and Get a Free 15 Minutes consultation.

For more updates, follow us on Instagram.

Call Now!