As an individual, it is important for all taxpayers to file taxes before tax deadlines of 2024. The CRA requires all individuals to file taxes before 30th April, 2024. Failure to file taxes within the deadline can result in additional fees being charged.
Filing personal taxes becomes applicable on all individuals engaged in buying and selling goods or services.
What are the documents required to file personal tax returns?
- T4 Slip: this is applicable to everyone employed to have their income outlined via a T4 slip.
- Investment statement: for everyone who has made any investment will be required to draw up a statement of their capital gains, losses and all other invested incomes.
- Personal information: have all your social insurance income documented in one place, wherever applicable
- Tax form: people who are self employed or workers with more than one source of income need to have their applicable tax forms filled
- Deductions: Taxpayers will also require their deduction receipts such as medical expenses, donations, charity, tuition, and further other expenses other than the business. Individuals are also required to gather their RRSP & TFSA contribution information.
Important tax changes 2024
Canada’s tax system is updated, modified and modified with each fiscal year. It is important to stay aware of these developments as they can directly affect your financial situation. Below are some important adjustments to keep in mind during the 2024 tax season:
New tax exemptions and credits: The government often introduces new tax exemptions and deductions to assist in various aspects of Canadian life.
- Higher contribution limits: If you’re saving for retirement or education, be aware of increased contribution limits for accounts registered as RRSPs (Registered Retirement Savings Plans) and RESPs (Registered Education Savings Plans). The maximum RRSP contribution for tax year 2024 would be $31,560.
- Tax band adjustments: The rate at which your income is taxed may vary due to changes in tax bands.
- To fully understand these developments and their implications, it is necessary to speak with a tax professional or stay up to date with government publications.
The process of filing a personal tax return in Canada
Canadian tax filing process In Canada, the following guidelines will help ensure a smooth tax filing process:
- Keeping all your tax documents and paperwork organized will save taxpayers time and less stress.
- Tax software can guide you through the process and help you find credits and deductions you may have missed.
- Taxpayers prepare in advance because by starting early they can ensure they have enough time to deal with any situation.
- Make sure everything is correct before submitting your return. Errors may result in future fines and delays.
- Consulting a tax professional can be a wise decision if you have a complicated financial situation or are unsure about the tax filing process in Canada.
It is advisable to consult a personal tax accountant in Canada to ensure everything is up to date when filing personal tax before the tax deadline 2024. All legal representatives need to ensure that the tax filing for their clients/ businesses are completed before the deadline of 30th April, 2024.
It is imperative to understand that the changes made for 2024 filing might need to be studied with the help of a tax professional.
For more updates, follow us on Instagram.